10/11/15

Books! Now with Added Features*

Huh, time to write again. What to write about... what to write about....
Ooooh Yes! 
So in case you haven't been paying attention to Pottermore... because well, who is now? They had a recent addition! A partnership between themselves and Apple, putting some of the old experiences in the ebooks. So all that art, and the movement, and apparently blurbs by Rowling all in one convenient to buy package of $9.99 USD per book!

Let that sink in. 

We had the $39.99 new illustrated Philosopher/Sorceror's Stone released. Twilight is coming out again with an additional bonus story, the same thing but gender-swapped! (Actually, let me say this, debatably what Twilight is doing is a BETTER value than what Rowling and Pottermore are. I never thought I'd say this but, well done Stephanie Myer.) Is it just me or does the new young lit scene seem to be "how do we repackage this, have them buy it, and make it JUST different enough that the hardcore fans will get it without grumbling too much." Or the shorter version "SHUT UP AND GIVE ME YOUR MONEY" the marketing plan. 

Now, I can't say this is revolutionary, not really. But I think it's the first time to my memory that popular books have done this in such a short time frame. I mean certainly, the Hobbit has a graphic novel edition, and so does Artimis Fowl. And this is done in DVDs all the time. And video games. But I think it's just odd, that the new thing for books is "re-release with bonus content." I can't fault Pottermore for this. Not completely though. 

That being said, I do think that this was yet another poorly thought out idea. A few fans have brought this up on Pottermore's Facebook page, but the short version is "This was available, and easily accessible for free. We can no longer easily access some of this. The images are scattered and harder to locate and pin point, and all that's being done is a repackaging of all this stuff that you already gave out for free." From a business perspective, it's perfectly sane. Use existing assets that currently do not make money to make more money.  From a public relations perspective, it's just more bad news for Pottermore.

I can only say that this only makes me slightly more depressed on reading their slow descent. But hey, I'd give anything to see their financials at this point. 






*added features for additional purchase and price. Limited supply. Not really. Give us your money. Sincerely, Pottermore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think?