9/11/15

Thoughts on Pottermore's Peek.

So, today we got a taste of what Pottermore is planning. 
What can I say, it's hard to stay optimistic.  I would want to. I really, really want to. But this is pretty damn hard to do. Pottermore's new site is definitely not what I'd want. It's been tough. Features had gone, and were getting whittled away. Dueling changed, potions were shortened, and comments were wiped. The updates were shorter and shorter. The books were finished, and there were still were still big questions out there. 

I don't quite know how else to describe it other than "amazing." Yes, a lot of Pottermore was a disappointment, but it's was always good to see the potential for improvement. Yes Pottermore got rid of comments, but it was because we had role play get out of hand. People did things that meant we could not have nice things. For dueling and potions, it was a change that we had asked for in part, duels were harder. Potions were easier to do. It looked like there was so much to do. Even the release of Half Blood Prince was much better than the earlier releases. But what happened? 

Well if I had to guess, Pottermore, well, Pottermore wanted to be cool. But Pottermore was never meant to be "cool." Not really. I mean, yes, Harry's been famous. It's "cool" to like Harry. But, to enjoy everything in the world, we have to be a little geeky. Yes, it wasn't elegant, but it fit. Looking at the new layouts, looking at the sneak peeks we've gotten to the new Pottermore, I can't help but feel that an earlier thought hits home that Pottermore doesn't really know what it is anymore. 

I'm sure one day, it might learn it's place.  Even the now ubiquitous Disney lost it's way and went into a "rad" phase. One that was debatably worse than what preceded it, but also showed itself where it went wrong. 

With that in mind. I sincerely hope Pottermore grows. This change may work for them, but looking at my own reaction, and the reactions of others, it probably won't. Pottermore will lose relevance, but as much as it hurts to say, maybe it's for the best. 

So grow Pottermore! Throw yourself into your pyre again and again, till you find out the damn silly things you've done. Maybe then that pyre can become a warm and welcoming hearth once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think?