4/25/15

Cure for Boils


Back to Basics...

So, this is the potion that started it all. Now what few people know is that this potion was the most effective potion to complete based off of time, as it gave five points quicker faster than any other potion at the time. This of course changed, but let's look.
Most people only know this potion, if they had started brewing post beta, as a throw away. This potion is the one that was considered the "basic" potion that any beginner could do, and it had the rewards to match. In addition to being completely free come book 5, this potion only gave out three points post beta. This contrasted with Beta where the only difference in potions were the hours it would take to send them out. As a result, Boils went from the top to the bottom rather quickly, not unlike Sleeping Draught and Antidote to follow.

But it has had quite a monumental shift back up, being free, fast, and efficient for any brewer since after the latest potion change. There's really not much else to talk about that many others know, but we can address a quick theory on why the ingredients are what they are. Fangs and quills are both sharp, and I can only imagine that they help "puncture" and cure the boils. Snake fangs also goes to snakes, which I'd imagine are well known both for use in creating poisons and cures from antivenom, and would not be surprised if they functioned similarly here, using medicinal qualities to cure the boils. As for the horned slugs, I would imagine that they somehow reduce swelling with their slime/mucus, and tht could have to do with the boils, but it could also be simply because they're slimy, and generally fun to watch flop about.

So again, what else can be said of Cure for Boils. It's the beginner's brew, fell from grace and now  has come back as potion of choice for any brewer seeking quick gains. So untill such time that Cure can be competed with again, let Hogwarts be free from blemishes. Join us next time for the next potion, Herbicide.

6 comments:

  1. Blegh, try not to get boils. I dislike slugs at all costs. I honestly was wondering why an icky creature would be in a cure potion but I guess the mucus thing makes sense. They could coat the boils and soothe irritation and prevent itching. LOL. Not sure bout the fangs and quills. Swelling and doxycide would be fun to analyse. Streelers are icky too >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not the best place to post this, yet I have nowhere else to post this. I have seen strange behaviour by not one but three niffler felicises; not the original ravenclaw one although he or she is friends with one of them. Admittedly, they are not earning points by cheating from what I can see, but it appears that there is a single mastermind behind these accounts, and the intention is certainly not to help a certain house win. I'll explain.

    Each niffler is in a different house (but there is no Lion niffler.) Each niffler has brewed around 3 centuries of potions, from what I've seen in potions 'recent activity'. Each niffler has less than 20 points each. How is this, I thought? 3 centuries of potions but such less points! Something smells off... Well, each niffler, it seems, likes to brew shrinking solution only. Oh yes, each time I see them they all have brewed shrinking part 1. That's what aroused my suspicion originally; seeing 3 accounts with the same name having brewed the same potion, all in recent activity at the same time, AND each having the same favourite potion and similar number brewed. Anyway, this love of shrinking part 1 accounts for the high potion count but proportionately low points. This is not in the spirit of the game, yet having informed PM within the last week or so, they are still active, albeit a tad more discreetly. Since my raising the alarm, the three nifflers don't appear together but at different times now, still having brewed The same potion only, and not having much more points. Now that the comments are gone the trolls have gone too, but it seems cheating or unsporting behaviour will always be a part of not just this but every game. Yet I want PM to be a fair game for everyone. Isn't the whole point of PM to start by getting sorted TRUTHFULLY, (well, as much as an online quiz can place you in the correct house hehe ) then earning points for your house? What is the point I wonder, of making three different accounts in three houses, and brewing shrinking part 1 only? It may seem harmless in comparison to real cheating, like the original niffler felicis, but it does go against what I thought Pottermore stands for, and as such, this person should be expelled permanently, along with all other obviously suspicious accounts.

    Finally, my applogies for this ridikkulusly lengthy post. I had to write this, feeling alarmed as I do, everytime I see a version of niffler felicis having successfully brewed shrinking part 1 in Potions (which is every other day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Just a quick note, there is indeed a lion account: NifflerFelicis27838 with around 400 potions (as do all the other accounts other the original (which is still active)). I expect the reason for this behavior to be along the lines of "because he can" and the belief that it is only a game and thus unimportant and does not affect others. Sad, but this is the reason an acquaintance of mine created a bot to cheat on another online game -_- (and she refuses to listen to anything I say about it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there, Hallo!
    I'm glad to see a reply, confirming that there are so many niffler felicises around; though not pleased to hear of a lion niffler account. I guess I need not be surprised at this really, though I did wonder whenever I saw the three niffler's why they neglected to make a lion account, but I guess they might appear on that account when I'm offline or something.

    I'm sorry to hear about that acquaintance of yours creating a bot. Which is more shocking: the fact a person would take the time to create a bot (I am computer dumb so it sounds difficult to me) or the person not being afraid to admit to it, OR stop using it even after listening to what others think of it? A quick google search of niffler felicis shows a bot he or she created for the jelly legs curse. Are PM aware of the level of fraudulent behaviour from this person I wonder? Particularly that they are taking no pains to be covert about their behaviour, which surely demands some strict action.

    I am now wondering, how many people are cheating on PM day in day out, undetected? Is there a viable solution to prevent people from creating multiple accounts, and thus give the players a more authentic, fairly competitive, hogwarts experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no Ravenclaw Night, based off of what little tech knowledge I have, compared to a master, the problem is with families. Families are the problem, really and truly. Because the first solution would be an ip ban, which isn't absolute, but may do good. However, let's say Abe is a jerk on pottermore and his sister Marge is an angel. They share a computer. Should abe's jerk behavior ban marge? Probably not. The problem is Pottermore plays with one hand tied behind it's back in this regard, and relies on users to make up for the muscle lost. Which is good, till house pride or voluntary blindness gets in the way and prevents it from happening.

      Delete

Tell me what you think?