3/6/15

Disappointments: Daily Prophet

Well a while back I wrote on why I was excited for and thought that the Daily Prophet would be good. I am disappointed to find that it ended a flop, and like usual, Pottermore has squandered the potential it had.
Oh Pottermore? Why must you dash my hopes so expertly? But here's the problem I truly have with it... I know I can't blame Pottermore! What? I know I'm as shocked as you! The problem with the Prophet isn't... really Pottermore. At least as far as I can tell. The problem, in part, is Rowling. Now I know it's fairly rude to suggest but listen to me for a bit here! Before you go for the mob! The Prophet can only post readings, right? Well... then they can only post what Rowling writes, or doesn't write. If she doesn't want to write for the Prophet we aren't going to get new material. This isnt' a bad thing at all, mind you. The fact that she's not writing the Prophet means she's writing something else, and if she's writing Fantastic Beasts as that something else I don't think anyone will particularly mind.

But it can not be attributed solely to Pottermore that the Prophet has failed. What little blame there is is that, assuming that the Prophet can post OTHER things, excerpts of the prophet from the books, maybe making it a "checklist" for the read abouts, or even posting, if possible, User Generated Content as Editorial columns (gee wouldn't that be grand). The problem is, Pottermore cannot do anything with content in regards to production other than wait for Rowling, or shove in fan projects. So I honestly can't blame Pottermore much on this disappointment, but rather, begrudgingly set it aside, an occasional treat that takes time, effort, and sacrifice to make on Rowling's part, and as I will not rush or critique our Queen Jo too much, I shall sit aside and state that Pottermore can still improve here, but this misstep is far more understandable than the other areas of the site.

The real tragedy still remains however, this entire section, the first shop in Diagon Alley to open since it's inception... is an over-glorified read-about page where the entirety of it's content could have been posted into a moment with less connection to the present, yes, but detailing the history of the Quidditch World Cup.

I still have my hopes though, I do hope Jo signs off to another Rita, or even a brand new reporter character, passing the torch of her characters half way to a writer where she simply provides the news and they provide a response. No one can replace Jo, but again, this natural limitation Jo faces is a horrible blemish on this page, and one that leaves me feeling disappointed, and like Pottermore, even when it does it's best, fails a good more than it succeeds.

And it is true I would think, for Pottermore to survive, it needs to be alive without the magic of Rowling, whether we'd like to admit it or not. Long term, Jo does not have horcruxes, nor does she have a philosophers' stone (and she would probably not use it as a matter of principle if she did). So I argue, Jo should use Pottermore as a chance, not just to make sure Harry's story continues to sell and live on, but that Harry's world will continue to grow, adapt and change, to make sure it DOES reach readers, not just a generation or two into the future, but tens and hundreds of thousands of generation, as the world Harry's in is adapting, changing and growing with ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think?